There’s no doubt about it, good sleep is an essential ingredient for a healthy, and wealthy sex life. In fact a 2015 study conducted at the University of Michigan Medical School found that the longer individuals slept, the more interested in sex they were the following day. And reality is, sleep and sex ultimately go hand-in-hand in the bedroom. But is it true that a healthy sex life can impact our sleep in a positive way?
Yes, it is.
- Sex releases oxytocin – a hormone that makes us feel connected to our partner. It also lowers cortisol, which is a stress-related hormone. So, when we feel deeply connected, and less stressed, we naturally enjoy a better sleep as a result.
- For women, sex boosts oestrogen, which actually enhances the REM stage of sleep, which leads to a deeper and longer sleep!
- Sex is a great stress reliever. It’s common knowledge that sex helps us release tension in our body and often sex is one of the only ways that we can click out of thinking and click into feeling. And when we are connecting with another human sexually, and we are feeling deep pleasure and love, we are naturally decreasing our stress levels. And less stress equals a better night’s sleep!
- On the flip side, if we are experiencing anxiety around sex, and we are in conflict with our partner about our sex life, then this can have a negative impact on our sleep. If this is the case, it’s recommended that couples seek support via a therapist or coach and work towards a more enjoyable sex life. Because when the sex is enjoyable, guaranteed our sleep will be deeper and more enjoyable, too.
- Lastly, sex is an opportunity for couples to bond, and increase connection. When we feel deeply connected and loved, we feel happier, and when we feel happy we tend to sleep better. Sex and sleep are both natural and wonderful parts of life, prioritise both and your are well on your way to being a healthy and happy human!
About the writer
Juliet Allen is a Sexologist, Coach, Tantra Practitioner and host of the Authentic Sex podcast. With a reputation for her bold and straight-to-the-point manner, Juliet facilitates 1:1 coaching sessions, educative workshops, and transformative online courses. Juliet’s purpose is to empower men and women to embrace their sexuality and transform their sex and relationships.