Looking for some fun ideas and things to do at home with your kids that doesn’t involve a screen?
These boredom busters are fun activities that will get both you and your kids excited, and occupied at the same time.
Arts & Crafts
There are so many fun, creative, open-ended arts and crafts activities to do to let your kids creativity flowing, you might surprise yourself as well!
- Make fish out of paper plates from Made Everyday
- DIY laser maze – make a maze from a roll of crepe paper and let them go crazy designing mazes and working their way through them, thanks to It’s Always Autumn
- Colouring in books
- Origami — A great way to entertain the kids without extensive use of glue and scioors. Ideas here, from Mom Junction.
- Fingerprint art — An easy project for kids and adults alike from It’s Always Autumn
- Making friendship bracelets or necklaces
- Make slime — Easy recipe from Artful Parent
- Make a family tree
- Make paper planes and have a competition to see who’s goes further
- Make your own play doh — Recipe here from Living Well Mom.
- Make some puppets and put on a puppet show — 28+ ideas on making puppets at home from Crafts by Amanda
- Decorate a T-shirt — Simple ideas from Sew Guide
- Painting or drawing — Create your own story book or draw a family portrait
- Make paper hats and put on a fashion show — 25 ideas on how to make a paper hat from Tip Junkie
- Make bubbles and have a bubble-blowing contest — Easy recipe to make bubbles here from The Artful Parent
- Make a time capsule — A great way to capture memories and a fun project for you and your kids for years to come. How to make a time capsule by Personal Creations
- Make dream catchers — 10 DIY Dream catcher ideas from the Artsy Craftsy Mom
- Press flowers — Martha Stewart shows how easy it can be, but something your kids can look forward to seeing in a few days time
- Go camping in the living room or back yard — If you have great backyard area, go on a little ‘trip’ with the kids and plan a night camping out. At the end of the day, it’s all about the experience you can give your kids. Snowyshas the ultimate guide for a fun backyard family camping trip
- Make a cubby house — Really get your creative juices flowing here and create crafty cubbies to play in with your kids. Here are 17 great imaginative craft cubbies from Mum’s Grapevine
- Play board games
- Play card games — Kidspot tell us 12 classic card games to teach and play with the kids
- Design an indoor treasure hunt — A great way to wow your kids with an adventure made just for them. Make the ultimate treasure hunt for your kids with this guide from My Kids Adventure
- Have a tea party — Throw a tea party for your kids and get them involved in making the treats and setting the scene. The Spruce shows us a great way to plan a tea party.
- Make your own bingo cards and have a bingo tournament — For your next event with the kids, create a Bingo card with your own theme. Canva has some great templates that can help you get started.
- Let your kids write and direct a movie and film it on your iPhone
- Do a puzzle
- Design an obstacle course — If it’s a beautiful, sunny day and you have space to set up an obstacle course, here are 25 easy, low-prep ideas for your kids from Playtivities, to get involved in which will encourage them to think and problem solve to get through.
- Have a talent show — Encourage your kids to showcase their hidden talents like singing, dancing or magic!
- Play charades or pictionary
- Have a living room disco – freeze, musical chairs, dance off
- Play cinema – make tickets, popcorn, set up with cushions and rugs
Cooking / Baking
- Make popsicles — Who doesn’t love a homemade popsicle and they’re so fun and easy to make. A great activity to get the kids involved in. Country Living provides 40+ popsicle ideas that are healthy and fresh that you and the kids can indulge in.
- Have a pizza party
- Bake some treats — Kidspot provides 10 super simple baking recipes to try with your kids.
When boredom strikes, you’ll have this list of at-home activities to pull out, which will be sure to keep your kids and you, entertained.